Follow by Email

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

DOLAKAHA BHIMSEN

     In the eastern upper part if Dolakha towhship lies the temple of Bhimeswar, which is popularly knoen as Dolakha Bhimsen temple also. The people of Dolakha regard Bhimeswar as their supreme Lord. The roofless temple houses the Shiva Linga underneath of which, it is believed, there is a holy pond. On both sides of the image of Bhimswar there are idols of Goddesses. Fairs are held there on the occasion of Bala Chaturdasi,Ram Navami, Chaitraastami, Bhima Ekasashi etc.
     In the month of Aswin-Kartik (Sept-Oct-Nov) during Durga Puja festival, goats are sacrificed there. There is a trust to run the religious worship.
     From the Kalinchowk peak near Dolkha, one can have a clear view of the Bhimsen Tower of Kathmandu during the fine weather.
     Approximately at a distance of 200 yards from the Bhimeswar temple there is another temple of Tripurasundari where devotees assemble during the festivals of Chaitrastami and Durga Puja. Only the priest of the temple is allowed to have a glimpse of the image of the Goddess.

Friday, August 12, 2011

NYATAPOLA

      This five storey temple is at Bhaktapur, 6 miles east of Kathmandu. It was dedicated to Siddhilaxmi, the Goddess of  Riches. This wonderful temple was built by King Bhupitindra Malla  of Bhadagaon in 1798. Standing on a base of five elevated stone platforms, this temple is the tallest in the city. It stood the great earth- quake of 1933 A.D. This temple was built for Goddess Laxmi. Figures of wrestlers,elephants,lions,griffins and images of deities guard the five platforms of the temple. Perceval Landon describes the temple thus:
     "In general the Nyatapola of Bhadgaon may be taken as an illustration of the usual design of Nepalese religious architecture".

Thursday, August 11, 2011

SWARGADWARI

     In the western part of the district of Piuthan (Rapti Zone) on the top of Swargadwari mountain (6960 ft. or 2122 meters) lies Swargadwari, one of the most famous places of Hindu  pilgrimage. Swargadwari, one of the most famous places of Hindu pilgrimages. Swargadwari is almost 26 km. south of the district headquarters of Piuthan- Khalanga Bazaar.
     During summer thousands of Hindu pilgrims visit this place.
     As the mythology states- the holy place derived its name from a spot where ancient sages practiced penance. That is why this spot is called Swargadwari of the Gateway to Heavens and the mountain itself was, later on, known as Swargadwari peak. And the historic temple of Swargadwari stands there on the peak.
     As the hearsay goes-long ago, there was a bachelor hermit (Bal Brahamchari) Padma Giri by name, who was, with the passage of time, renowned as Swargadwari Mahaprabhu. With his continuous penance, he attained great enlightenment and did a lot pious thing to the local people. It was this Swargadwari sage who built a holy pond there and started the system of Akhand Hom (Eternal Fire) in it. In 1941, the Great sage passed away and he was buried there. Over that holy burial ground marble slabs were placed and a temple was built. A herd of several hundred cows belongs to the temple trust which manages the lodging and fooding of the visitors. On the peak of the Swargadwari mountains there is a picturesque cave where the Great Sage- Swargadwari Mahaprabhu used to meditate in the past.
     Every year fairs are held there during Baisakh's Poornima(April-May) and kartik Poornima (Oct-Nov) festivals. Pilgrims from different parts of Nepal and India pay visit there.

SHESH NARAYAN

     A few miles south-west of Kathmandu,the temple of Shesh Narayan is situated amidst wonderful natural scene near Pharping on the way to Dakshinkali. The image of Lord Vishnu with four hands dates back to very olden days. The temple of Shesh Narayan was constructed in the time of Lichchavi King Haridutta Varma in the third century A.D. Around the temple there are fish ponds. Just behind the temple there in the cave where there is a shape of a cow's dug through which water flows all the year round in drops. As the mythology runs, in the hoary past milk used to flow from it  (It was believed to be the dug of  the holy Kamadhenu, the divine cow which fulfills the desires of all).

GUHESWARI TEMPLE

     Near the holy temple of Pashupatinath is located another historic and holy temple of Goddess Guheswari. This ancient temple lies on the south-west bank of the holy river Bagmati at Devpatan. This one storied temple has got its own peculiar features which distinguish it from other pagodas and prove its historic antoquity. Pre-historic mythologies refer about of Guheswari was constructed during the reign of King Shanker devof the Lichhavi period with the help of great tantric Narsingha Tahkur by name. King Pratap Malla of Kathmandu got this temple repaired with the advice of a noted Tantric Lambakarna Bhatta in the year 1654 A.D. In the modern times, King Rana Bahadur Shah presented various muscial instruments to be used  during the prayer and worship of the Goddess in the temple.
     The temple of Guheswari houses no image of any Goddess. Devotees offer wine,eggs etc in a holy orifice which has been regarded as the place of  worship since times immemorial.

DATTATRAYA TEMPLE


     Some 5 miles from the Nepalese capital this famous temple of medieval days lies in the  city of Bhaktapur. This temple was constructed during the reign of Yakshya Malla , then Malla King, in 1427 A.D.  It is said that this temple was built with the wood of a single tree. The temple of Dattatraya  was renovated during King Biswa Malla's time. Thousands of devotees come to pay homage to Lord Dattatraya  during the Shivaratri fair in February.
     Just behind the Dattatraya temple there is an ancient monastery which is renowned the world over for the wonderful "Peacock Window". This famous window was carved during the reign of King Biswa Mall in 1458.

DAKSHINKALI

     On the slope of a mountain, some 6 miles south of  Kathmandu, lies the temple of Dakshinkali, a place of pilgrimage. Historians point out that the image of Dakshinkali was set up there in the 10th Century by Vedic followers.
     Dakshinkali tops the list of holy places of pilgrimage in relation to Hindu Goddesses, which dates back to times immemorial. one image of Dakshinkali was carved in accordance to the vedic tantricism during the reign of King Jayapratap Malla with the advice of the famous tantric Lambakarna  Bhatta.
    Devotees visit this holy place specially on Saturdays and goats are sacrificed in large numbers. Apart from the religious point of view this place has also been a popular picnic spot.